| Ruboard - easily configurable
interactive WWW board
|Totally new version of Ruboard is on its finish line.
Everybody interested please join in testing!
For up to date sources click on SourceForge link above or
to go directly into CVS.
What is Ruboard?
Ruboard is easy to use, simple, configurable web board - a place where
people can discuss things interactively usign their browsers.
Although initially based on Matthew Wright's WWWBoard, Ruboard has been
completely rewritten to improve stability, configurability and ease of
The author of Ruboard is Andrew Maltsev,
<firstname.lastname@example.org>; copyright © 1998-1999.
Most significant features of Ruboard are:
- Stability -- file locking to prevent article and index destruction.
- Compatibility with WWWBoard. Ruboard may be used to control WWWBoard
forums without any conversion (I had not tried this, but no changes were
done to file formats).
- Ruboard is simple to install and use.
- User registration and password protection options.
- Ability to post messages, images and url's is controllable through
passwords. Users may apply for registration and there are administration
mechanisms to maintain registered users base.
- IP addresses may be blocked if desired.
- Multiple languages are supported (Russian and English for now).
- The size of board (number of entries on main page) is controllable.
- Support for multible boards from one program.
- A lot of visual enhancements and configuration options (all colors,
fonts, background images and so on may be set individually for each
- Separate posting page/mode made so posters do not have to scroll to
bottom of long page
- Can add advertisement on every generated page
Ruboard is tested in FreeBSD and Linux, with Perl 4 and 5 (text
formatter and banned words may not work correctly in non-english
languages with perl4). It does not depend on anything valuable form the
system, so I think it will run on most of Unix-like systems with no
changes at all.
If you have any suggestions, enhancements (especially if you have
added another language) please send me
the patch or patched version.